Jazz Institute at Jefferson Center
Jazz Institute 2017 dates coming soon!
Jazz Institute at Jefferson Center is a comprehensive camp to teach students about America's art form, jazz. Students participate in a week long program which culminates in a series of final performances and recordings inside Music Lab at Jefferson Center.
Jazz Institute is affordably priced to ensure local teen musicians have every opportunity to attend.
Jazz Institute also takes the opportunity to create a scholarship fund in honor of the great jazz pianist, Don Pullen. Our goal is to celebrate the amazing creativity of Roanoke's own jazz master, while supporting a young musician on their path to exploring the world of jazz through quality education and engaging opportunities.
All participants should bring their instruments. We'll supply the drums and pianos/keyboards.
The Jefferson Center Jazz Institute will:
- Take place over 5 days during the summer each year
- Offer high profile jazz musicians to teach the students
- Offer opportunities for students to learn all aspects of playing jazz
- Host classes, performances and lecture/demonstrations
- Partner with local schools to implement a higher level of jazz education
- Partner with the Music Lab at Jefferson Center to focus on recording
- Offer performance opportunities for the students and instructors
- Act as a catalyst to promote jazz as an art form to the students and therefore the greater public
- Produce a recording each year with the master musicians and students that will be promoted through the school system.
- Raise money to offer students scholarships to continue jazz training at a higher learning institution.
- Celebrate the music of Roanoke's own Don Pullen.
For questions, please contact Jordan Harman, jharman[at]jeffcenter[dot]org, 540.343.2624 ext:209
The Bad Plus
Thu, Mar 30
The UBU Honors 2017 - "Just the Beginning, Better Days"
Fri, Mar 31
Ultimate Starz Dance Productions
Sat, Apr 1
Roanoke Valley Children's Choir presents "A Little Spring Music"
Sat, Apr 8